Picking the 6 Best Manuka Honey Products for 2020
We receive a commission on purchases made through the links on this page. More Info
Everyone’s talking about manuka honey lately. People rave about the benefits this honey provides and buy it all the time. Nowadays, many brands provide manuka honey, but it can be difficult to choose one.
To make it easier for you, we’ve selected some of the best manuka honey options you can buy at the moment.
Scroll down to learn more about manuka honey and get info about the best items on the market.
What is Manuka Honey?
Manuka honey is a monofloral honey produced from the nectar of the manuka tree. The term monofloral honey refers to a type of honey that has a distinctive flavor or other important attributes because it is sourced from predominantly one plant species.
In this case, that species is manuka tree, Leptospermum scoparium, which is a common small tree or shrub in the myrtle family. The tree is found in New Zealand, especially in drier areas where it is the dominant shrubland plant.
The manuka is related to the Australian tea tree (melaleuca), and both have a number of health benefits.
Why Consider Manuka Honey?
Manuka honey has become widely popular, and it’s not that difficult to figure out why. Honey, in general, is incredibly beneficial for our health, and manuka honey isn’t the exception from that rule.
In fact, manuka honey takes all honey-related benefits to a whole new level.
If you still haven’t tried manuka honey, you’re probably wondering why to start using it in the first place. Below, you can see some of the many reasons why you should definitely give it a chance.
All honey has antimicrobial and antibiotic activities. In “standard” honey, hydrogen peroxide provides the antibiotic effect, but in manuka honey, that role belongs to the Unique Manuka Factor (UMF).
In fact, UMF is a grading system that relies on a scale of 5 to 20 in order to represent the antibacterial strength of each batch.
Evidence shows that manuka honey has strong antibacterial activity and is, actually, the frontrunner of the honey for non-peroxide antimicrobial properties.
Manuka honey exhibits both antibacterial and antioxidant properties to help potentially prevent wound infections while maintaining a moist environment and protective barrier for the wound.
Studies confirm that manuka honey helps enhance wound healing and amplifies the regeneration of tissue. It can also lower the intensity of pain in people with burns.
Oral health support
Yet another great reason to use manuka honey is its amazing ability to support oral health. This benefit of manuka honey is associated with its antibacterial properties.
As you’re well aware, bacteria in our gums can cause periodontal disease, a widely prevalent condition that paves the way for other dental problems, including tooth loss. Periodontal disease is simple to prevent; all you need is proper dental hygiene and to minimize bad oral bacteria.
This is where manuka honey steps in. Manuka honey attacks harmful bacteria linked with the formation of plaque, gum inflammation, and tooth decay.
Sore throat remedy
It’s a good idea to have manuka honey in the household to help sooth a sore throat. The antibacterial and antiviral properties of manuka honey alleviate inflammation and attack pain-causing bacteria. At the same time, this honey also coats the lining of the throat to provide a soothing effect.
Improved digestion symptoms
Millions of people around the globe have irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) or other gastrointestinal issues. Digestive problems induce a number of symptoms, such as abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhea, and irregular bowel movements.
Regular intake of manuka honey may help relieve these symptoms and improve the quality of life. This honey supports antioxidant status and may help to alleviate inflammation associated with problems such as ulcerative colitis and IBS.
Other benefits of manuka honey
A plethora of health benefits is the reason you should try manuka honey if you’ve never used it before. Besides the above-mentioned reasons to use manuka honey, these potential benefits will also inspire you to do so:
- Helps fight against gastric ulcers
- Fighting bacteria that cause upper respiratory infections
- Energy boost
- Improve general health and overall wellbeing
- Immune system support
- Cholesterol management
Top 6 Manuka Honey Products
Manuka honey supports overall health and promotes a sense of wellbeing. Obtaining all these wonderful effects of manuka honey depends on the quality of the products you use. Below, you can take a look at some of the best options you can find.
1. New Zealand Honey Co. Raw Manuka Honey UMF 24+
If you’re looking for raw manuka honey with high potency, then this product is definitely, worth taking into consideration. New Zealand Honey Co. is a brand whose honeys are UMF licensed, and this one has the UMF score of 24+. It also has an MGO 1122+ score.
Remember, the higher these values are, the more powerful the honey.
It’s worth mentioning the product is not suitable for children under one year of age. Even though 8.8oz jar is pricey, it can be a great investment in your health. Customers report that this honey has a great taste as well.Get it on Amazon
2. Comvita UMF 10+ Raw Manuka Honey
Comvita is yet another popular brand of raw manuka honey products. This honey has UMF 10+ score as well as MGO 263+.
One of the greatest advantages of this particular manuka honey is that it appeals to different groups of people based on their likes, dislikes, and even their religious beliefs. For instance, Comvita’s raw manuka honey is unpasteurized, non-GMO, halal, kosher, glyphosate-free, and gluten-free.
The manufacturer elaborates one can use manuka honey in different ways e.g., have a spoonful a day, stir in tea, add to recipes, or included with other ingredients in a DIY skincare regimen.
This monofloral honey is made by a company that crafts beekeeping since 1974 and is a supplier to the medical industry. Comvita’s honey, which comes in standard 8.8oz container, is rich in color and tasty.Get it on Amazon
3. Manuka Health – MGO 400+ Manuka Honey
Manuka honey from Manuka Health is monofloral honey with an MGO score of 400+, which is about UMF 12+. That means the concentration of active compounds that exhibit anti-inflammatory and antibacterial effects is quite decent. This means that the concentration of methylglyoxal is not too low, but also not too high, which is great for everyday use.
The product also appeared on Good Morning America and can be used for general wellbeing, breakfast, beauty purposes, and as a sugar substitute, of course. The smooth texture of this manuka honey is suitable for different applications, and it also tastes great. Moreover, two different packaging sizes are available; 8.8oz and 17.6oz container.Get it on Amazon
4. New Zealand Honey Co. Raw Manuka Honey
Raw manuka honey from New Zealand Honey Co. has a UMF15+ score, and it’s also MGO514+, which is why it increases the benefits of various foods, drinks, health shakes, among other things. The monofloral honey is 100% genuine and comes in two different sizes of containers (8.8oz and 17.6oz).
New Zealand Honey Co. is a member of the UMFA association, which is the reason why the product is UMF licensed, while many options on the market are not.
Since this is raw honey, it has a somewhat therapeutic, medicinal bitter taste, but it’s still pleasant on your taste buds (as honey should be). Although it’s more expensive than some other manuka honeys, it’s a great product to consider, if we bear in mind the important licenses and decent grade. Customers report that it has a rich consistency that gives it authentic honey taste.Get it on Amazon
5. Happy Valley UMF 18+ Genuine New Zealand Manuka Honey
Genuine manuka honey made by Happy Valley is considered one of the finest on the market. The honey has UMF 18+ score meaning it’s high in potency. Regular use of this manuka honey supplies the body with an abundance of vitamins, and it’s also useful as a pre-workout energy boost.
Golden brown color and rich consistency make this manuka honey a great choice for people who are looking for a high-quality product to support their lifestyle. This honey also has a distinctive manuka flavor, which also gives out notes of caramel and malt with a rich, crisp finish.Get it on Amazon
6. Manuka Doctor Pure New Zealand Honey
Manuka Doctor is a famous name in the manuka honey industry. The origins of this company are traced back to 1909, which indicates this is the brand with a long tradition. Their Manuka honey is multi-floral and has MGO 80+ score. The product is an independent laboratory tested, which gives the honey and the manufacturer even a greater dose of transparency.
Manuka Doctor’s honey can be used in beverages, as a replacement for sugar and other unhealthy sweeteners, or you can allow it to dissolve in your mouth. The 8.75oz packaging delivers 11 servings. For reference, the serving size is one tablespoon.Get it on Amazon
How We Picked the Manuka Honey Products
The best manuka honey products weren’t chosen randomly. A lot of thought has been put into selecting these products. The following criteria were taken into consideration:
- Brand – we always take a look at the brand to determine whether it’s a reliable provider of the product or not. The goal is to make sure people look for products made by reputable brands with a strong emphasis on the quality
- Bioactivity – the goal is to assess the concentration of active compounds that are responsible for the health benefits of manuka honey. The higher the number, the more powerful the honey. UMF is the most well-known grading system. We made sure the list includes products with a great UMF score. Generally speaking, the higher the UMF number, the stronger its antibacterial effect. High UMF score also means the honey is more capable of helping wounds, burns, cuts, and bedsores. Manuka honey with UMF 12 or higher is considered medical-grade, and you can add it to a bandage in order to address wounds, if necessary. Besides UMF, other alternatives are also included as they also represent the potency of manuka honey e.g., MGO (methylglyoxal) score.
- Reviews – user experiences with a certain product speak volumes about its quality. That’s why customer reviews were the important factor taken into consideration. We made sure manuka honey from this list were found to be helpful by people who used them
- Multifloral vs. monofloral – the best manuka honey is monofloral i.e., the one which contains only manuka and no other plants, but since multifloral honey are also popular we made sure to include reliable option worth considering if you’re looking for a multi-floral manuka honey
- Price – the price tag doesn’t determine the quality. The goal here is that you get the best quality for a certain price. Sometimes we are misled by expensive prices that trick us into thinking the product is amazing or lower prices we dismiss as a sign of poor quality. It doesn’t have to be that way. For that purpose, we selected the products that provide the best quality based on their price tag
Manuka honey is a wonderful addition to every household due to a number of benefits and uses. The selection of manuka honey on the market is vast, but not all of them are equal.
To get the most out of manuka honey, you need to take some time to evaluate and compare different options to find the best one for your needs.