Picking the 5 Best Ashwagandha Supplements
We receive a commission on purchases made through the links on this page.
The average person looking to take a supplement that would enhance their health or give them access to specific benefits is facing difficult times. The market is flooded with different supplements.
Whether you are looking to boost your brainpower, improve heart health, or stop feeling sluggish during the day, there are hundreds of supplements that will promise to help you out.
A recent report claims that the supplement industry will be worth almost $200 billion in just half a decade from now.
An important fact to understand when it comes to supplements is that the FDA does not regulate these products – and that means you need to be careful when choosing the product that will be right for you.
With Ashwagandha supplements becoming quite a hit with many people, acting as an adaptogen, and helping the body cope with stress better, we decided to spend some time searching for the best of these products on the market in 2019.
The Best Ashwagandha Supplements For 2020
After extensive research, we have filtered down to only the best Ashwagandha supplements that you are going to find on the market today.
If you want to take full advantage of what this natural remedy has to offer, consider trying out one of the supplements we recommend below.
1. Physician’s CHOICE Ashwagandha 1950mg
If you are looking for a high dose Ashwagandha supplement that prioritizes quality, then this is definitely a product worth looking at. You get 90 capsules for a low price of just over $15, which really makes this an affordable option considering each capsule contains almost two grams of Ashwagandha root extract.
Another benefit to note here is that the Physician’s CHOICE Ashwagandha 1950mg supplement is an organic product. An organic Ashwagandha powder is used in the production of the capsules. In addition to the inclusion of Ashwagandha root powder, the supplement also contains black pepper extracts, which have been shown to provide a significant increase in the absorption and bioavailability of many natural plant-based extracts.Get it on Amazon
2. OmniBiotics Ashwagandha Organic Capsules
The OmniBiotics Ashwagandha Organic Capsule is another high-dose option. This product comes with a 1300mg dose per capsule. The price is a little higher than our previous entry, at $22.95 per bottle, but take note that there are 120 capsules in each of these containers.
A special KSM-66 Ashwagandha Root extract is used in the production of this particular supplement. This is an extract that produces a more concentrated supplement, leading to an elevated impact. There are no additives or binders used in this product, and all of the ingredients are 100% certified organic. A cGMP facility is used in the manufacturing process of the OmniBiotics Ashwagandha Organic Capsules. The facility also holds an NSF certification and has been registered with the FDA.Get it on Amazon
3. DailyNutra KSM-66 Ashwagandha 600mg
The DailyNutra KSM-66 Ashwagandha 600mg supplement is a lower dose option compared to our previous two entries but does contain a higher potency extract of the plant. There is a 5% withanolides content in this supplement, which may help to provide an enhanced overall efficacy of the Ashwagandha extract that is added to the product.
The product does come with a premium price compared to other options, at $29.99 per bottle. Each bottle gives you 90 capsules, which also means it may easily last you as long as three months. The DailyNutra KSM-66 Ashwagandha 600mg supplement comes with an ingredient known as BioPerine. This is a black pepper extract that has been scientifically proven to greatly enhance the body’s ability to absorb herbal ingredients found in supplements.Get it on Amazon
4. Nootropics Depot KSM-66 Ashwagandha Capsules
Next is a supplement that uses Ashwagandha primarily for its potential benefits on the brain. The product is produced by a company known as Nootropics Depot, which specializes in the manufacturing of supplements that enhances mental focus, memory function, and overall cognitive performance.
While the dosage of 300mg per serving might seem low, the company does claim that this is an appropriate concentration of their Ashwagandha extract to provide the mental benefits that a person might expect from this plant root extract. A single container of the Nootropics Depot KSM-66 Ashwagandha Capsules costs $15.99 and includes a total of 90 capsules. You can also buy a 180-capsule bottle if you wish to save by purchasing the supplement in bulk.Get it on Amazon
5. Tribe Organics KSM-66 Ashwagandha Organic Capsules
Another excellent product that you might want to take a closer look at is the Tribe Organics KSM-66 Ashwagandha Organic Capsules. As the name implies, this is a completely organic product that only introduces your body to Ashwagandha extract. A special extraction process is used by the manufacturer to make the content of the supplement more potent and concentrated. In turn, you get to experience improved benefits without the need for a higher dose.
Each capsule gives you a 600mg dose of the KSM-66 Ashwagandha root extract. The supplement features a 5% withanolides concentration for maximum benefits. You get 90 capsules in each bottle, priced at $24.97. The supplement does not contain any type of chemicals, fillers, binders, or synthetic additives.Get it on Amazon
How We Ranked The Best Ashwagandha Supplements
The market certainly has no shortage of Ashwagandha supplements. You can decide if you want to use a supplement that only contains this ingredient, or rather one combined with other natural extracts to enhance the overall benefits of the product.
This makes it harder for anyone to choose one particular product out of the thousands that there are.
In order to filter through all of the Ashwagandha supplements on the market and bring you the best ones to choose from, we had to spend a lot of time doing extensive research.
Our initial process was to set up a list of the top-rated and best-selling supplements that primarily contain Ashwagandha as an ingredient.
We then filtered through this list, looking at the specific doses of Ashwagandha, the addition of ingredients that help to enhance the bioavailability of the ingredient, and we considered the overall value that each product provided.
In addition to considering these factors, we also did some background research on the companies that are behind the manufacturing of the supplements we found to have potential. Then, we looked at user reviews related to each product.
The user reviews allowed us to get a better idea of how each of these supplements was able to help (or fail to help) consumers.
Who Should Consider Taking An Ashwagandha Supplement?
The list of effects that Ashwagandha has in the human body is extensive, which definitely means there are a lot of people who might be able to benefit from using these supplements. You might still not feel entirely sure if you could use Ashwagandha and if it would bring any positive effects to your life.
Some people who might want to consider taking a daily supplement that contains Ashwagandha as an active ingredient include:
- Men and women who experience a problem with their libido
- Men with signs that are associated with a decline in testosterone levels
- Those who feel that stress is having a negative impact on their physical and mental health
- People who find that they constantly experience symptoms of anxiety
- Anyone who suffers from inflammation, be that from an injury or from a chronic disease like osteoarthritis
- People who want to improve their brain health and reduce the risk of age-related diseases
Since Ashwagandha is essentially a type of adaptogen herb, most people will be able to benefit from it, as we are all living in a world where stress has become part of our daily lives. According to the American Institute of Stress, at least one in every three Americans have extreme levels of stress in their daily lives, and almost half of the population feels that their stress has significantly increased in just half a decade.
What Are The Benefits Of Ashwagandha?
Ashwagandha is a herb that has been used since ancient times as a way of managing stress, as well as to produce additional benefits in the human body. Both men and women can greatly benefit from the use of supplements that contain high-quality Ashwagandha extracts.
Below, we will consider some of the most important benefits that you may expect if you decide to use one of these supplements.
- Reduces Stress: Ashwagandha root powder extract is primarily promoted as an adaptogen – and for a good reason. Many scientific studies have shown that the use of this supplement helps the body better cope with daily stressors, and there may also be a reduction in cortisol release during stressful situations. This is essential for improving stress and could lead to additional psychological benefits. Some people notice an improvement in symptoms linked to anxiety disorders when they use these supplements as a means of coping better with stress. The supplement may also be beneficial for people suffering from depression, especially when this disorder is brought on by stress and anxiety.
- Increases Testosterone: There are some studies that found the use of a supplement that contains an Ashwagandha extract could possibly help men experience an elevation in the amount of testosterone that flows through their body. This is an essential sex and steroid hormone in the male body that contributes to several functions, including the regulation of libido, bone health, brain health, and more.
- Improves Fertility: Men with a low sperm count may also notice that there is an improvement in this particular issue when they start taking an Ashwagandha supplement. In turn, the increase in sperm count could help to improve fertility. The supplement also seems to be beneficial for improving sperm motility.
- Reduces Blood Sugar Levels: Ashwagandha root could also be helpful for those who are struggling to keep their blood sugar levels low. The supplements help to regulate the distribution and metabolism of sugar in the body. This, in turn, might help to reduce blood glucose levels.
- Fights Inflammation: Inflammation has been linked to many harmful diseases and is even considered the underlying factor to blame in many chronic illnesses. This plant root extract has potent anti-inflammatory properties that can help to downregulate the proteins and specific pathways in the body that causes inflammatory responses.
What Are The Side-Effects Of Ashwagandha Supplements?
The use of Ashwagandha supplements is considered to be relatively safe among the general population. Individuals who are generally healthy would be unlikely to experience any serious side-effects or harm when they decide to take advantage of the adaptogen properties and other potential health benefits offered by this plant extract.
It should, however, be noted that some side-effects have been noted, but these adverse reactions do not affect everyone. If you are interested in using a product that contains Ashwagandha root, you should make sure to consider both the pros and cons – and that includes the possible side-effects you could experience.
When Ashwagandha is taken in high doses, the following side-effects may occur:
- Gastrointestinal issues like an upset stomach
- Some people have experienced diarrhea
- Vomiting is also possible with a high dose of the herbal extract
There are certain contraindications and particular interactions that you should also take into account. Combining Ashwagandha supplements with certain drugs, as well as health conditions, could possibly lead to more harmful adverse reactions.
Some of these contraindications that you should take note of include:
- The herb has been shown to reduce blood pressure levels, possibly. People with existing problems related to low blood pressure should be cautious when using these supplements.
- Those who take medication for hypertension may find that combining these drugs with Ashwagandha supplements causes a more significant reduction in blood pressure. This could lead to hypotension, which may lead to severe dizziness and even fainting in some cases.
- The chemicals found in this herb can cause irritation to the gastrointestinal tract, especially in those people with a stomach ulcer.
- The use of supplements that contain Ashwagandha may cause blood sugar levels to decline. When used alongside medicine that helps to treat diabetes, hypoglycemia becomes a risk that the person needs to take note of.
- Ashwagandha is known to increase immune activity in the human body. While this may be beneficial for the average person, those with autoimmune diseases, such as Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, Multiple Sclerosis, and Rheumatoid Arthritis, need to be careful. When the activity of the immune system is increased, it may lead to aggravated symptoms of an autoimmune disease.
- The use of this herb may lead to increased production of thyroid hormones. People with existing Thyroid disease, such as hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism, should also be cautious. The supplement may interfere with current treatment strategies.
How effective is Ashwagandha as an adaptogen?
The primary reason why Ashwagandha is often advised is due to its ability to act as an adaptogen to the human body. Studies have shown that the use of Ashwagandha as an adaptogen provides a potent anti-stress effect in the body. There is an improved regulation of hormones that are associated with stress. In one particular study, researchers explain that Ashwagandha is able to regulate cortisol levels by interacting with the pituitary gland. This might be one of the primary methods of action that the plant extract possesses to assist with improving the body’s ability to deal with stressful situations.
Is Ashwagandha really effective at reducing stress?
Due to the effects that Ashwagandha seems to have on the production of cortisol in the body, as pointed out in the previous question, the product does offer an effective way of reducing stress. In addition to being able to reduce the physical and psychological effects that stress has on the human body, there also seems to be an improvement in the body’s capability of dealing with stressors.
Can Ashwagandha help with anxiety symptoms?
Ashwagandha is able to provide benefits related to mental health far beyond the improvement in stress management. The use of this particular plant extract has also shown potential when provided to individuals who experience symptoms generally associated with anxiety. A study published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine explains that Ashwagandha poses an effective alternative treatment option for patients with anxiety disorders, while also reducing the risk of side-effects often associated with pharmaceutical anti-anxiety drugs.
Are Ashwagandha supplements safe for people with diabetes?
Ashwagandha root extract has previously been found to reduce blood sugar levels. This is considered especially useful for people with diabetes, where blood glucose concentrations can sometimes reach dangerously high levels.
While the reduction in blood sugar levels does seem to be a beneficial factor for those who have been diagnosed with diabetes, it is important for these individuals to be cautious when using this type of supplement.
How will Ashwagandha affect my hormones?
There are some hormones that may be affected when you turn to Ashwagandha supplements. Generally, the supplement may assist in restoring a better balance of these chemical messengers in your body. It is, however, important to note that some of these effects could interact with the use of hormone replacement therapy.
An excellent example is Thyroid hormones. Ashwagandha extracts have been found to elevate the production of Thyroid hormones. The extract may also improve the overall function of the Thyroid gland. Those who have been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism and taking Levothyroxine or another drug to treat the condition might go into a Hyperthyroidism state when they use Ashwagandha. Additionally, the supplement may also cause an increase in testosterone production. Thus, men who are undergoing testosterone replacement therapy should also be wary of using this particular supplement.
Does Ashwagandha have an impact on fertility?
The use of Ashwagandha could have a potentially positive impact on fertility, but the evidence does point out that only men seem to benefit from the supplement in terms of improving the chances of reproduction. Some studies have found that Ashwagandha could be a potential therapy for the treatment of oligospermia in men. This is a condition where the man’s sperm count reaches a low number, reducing the chances of inception during sexual intercourse. The plant extract might lead to an increase in sperm count.
Can I take Ashwagandha if I suffer from depression?
The combined psychological effects that Ashwagandha seems to have in those who take supplements that contain this natural extract might also be helpful for people who struggle with depression. The product is able to reduce the signs of anxiety effectively. Stress management is also significantly improved with the use of Ashwagandha root supplements. Both of these factors have a role to play in the development of depression. Thus, by reducing these issues in the body, there may be an improvement in depression-related symptoms as well.
Can Ashwagandha help me in the gym?
Another area where Ashwagandha seems to be beneficial is when stepping into the gym or even when doing a workout routine at home. There are many studies that have shown this particular supplement holds the potential to boost physical performance. If you decide to take advantage of a supplement that contains Ashwagandha as an ingredient, you may find that your muscle strength is improved. Additionally, you may experience muscle growth at an accelerated rate, which could mean reaching your goals in terms of building more muscle mass faster.
How does Ashwagandha affect inflammation?
In addition to the fact that the compounds found in Ashwagandha have powerful antioxidant properties, studies have also found the plant extract to possess anti-inflammatory agents. This is why some people opt for supplements that contain Ashwagandha extracts when they suffer from pain that is related to inflammation, such as in cases where the person is affected by Rheumatoid arthritis.
One study explains that the active compounds in the plant extract assists in the regulation of cytokines in the body. There is also inhibition of MAPK/NF-kB pathways. These are all factors in the body that have been associated with inflammation.
Does Ashwagandha affect my cholesterol levels?
People with high cholesterol have turned to Ashwagandha supplements in the past to bring about an improved balance in their lipid profiles. There is some evidence that suggests the use of Ashwagandha supplements may help to reduce LDL cholesterol. This is often called “bad cholesterol.” LDL cholesterol collects in the blood vessels and can cause problems such as clogged arteries, as well as damage to the walls of these vessels. Total cholesterol levels might also be reduced with the use of these supplements. It does not seem like Ashwagandha increases HDL cholesterol, however.
Is it safe to take Ashwagandha supplements?
Mild side-effects have been noted in some people who take Ashwagandha supplement, but these products are generally considered safe for most individuals looking to use an adaptogen. Side-effects may include gastrointestinal symptoms, such as nausea and diarrhea.
There are some people who are advised not to use the supplement, however. This is usually the case when taking drugs to manage hypertension and diabetes. If you are interested in using Ashwagandha supplements and have an existing health condition or you are taking any chronic medication, you should consult with your physician first. They will be able to determine if any interactions could potentially occur and if this type of supplement would be safe for you to take.
The selection of Ashwagandha supplements that are available today can feel overwhelming. Each manufacturer claims that their product is the best, leaving you confused about which of these supplements you should be buying. We shared our selection of the best Ashwagandha supplements on the market right now, after spending several hours doing thorough research. Each product was chosen based on quality, value for money, user opinions, and other essential factors.